Fingertip Grasping Razor
Invention Safety Razor
Filed Friday, 26th August 1921
Published Tuesday, 9th May 1922
Inventor John A. Williamson
Language EnglishCPC Classification:
Safety razors with one or more blades arranged transversely to the handle involving blades with only one cutting edge
Performing Operations; Transporting
Hand Cutting Tools; Cutting; Severing
Hand-Held Cutting Tools Not Otherwise Provided For
Razors of the open or knife type; Safety razors or other shaving implements of the planing type; Hair-trimming devices involving a razor-blade; Equipment therefor
Razors of the open or knife type; Safety razors or other shaving implements of the planing type; Hair-trimming devices involving a razor-blade; Equipment therefor involving changeable blades
Safety razors with one or more blades arranged transversely to the handle
For a full resolution version of the images click here
A PDF version of the original patent can be found here.
Parts not referenced in the text: None
Parts not referenced in the images: None
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, John A. Williamson, a citizen of the United States of America, residing at the city and county of Denver and State of Colorado, have invented a new and useful Safety Razor, of which the following is a specification.
My invention relates to a finger-tip grasping interchangeable safety razor blade holder.
And the objects of my invention are:
First. To provide a thin, short plate of metal that is bent into a shape at one end to fit the contour of, and can be securely grasped by the tip ends of the fingers of a user when shaving, and that is provided at its opposite end with means for receiving, holding, securing and releasing interchangeable flat, thin, naked razor blades.
Second. To provide a finger-tip grasping razor blade supporting razor, which comprises means for receiving, holding and releasing interchangeable razor blades and a thin, short plate so curved as to allow only the tips of the fingers to grasp it and hold the razor while shaving, and
Third. To provide a finger tip grasping safety razor that is arranged to receive flat, thin interchangeable razor blades of a special design; and is provided with a movable razor blade receiving, positioning and locking mechanism that holds the razor blades against accidental movement or displacement when shaving, and that will release and eject the razor blade whenever it is desired to replace the one in the holder by another one.
I attain these objects by the mechanism illustrated in the accompanying drawings, in which:
Similar letters of reference refer to similar parts throughout the several views.
Referring to the drawings, the numeral
At the inner end of the flat portion
The inside surface of the curved portion
The razor locking and releasing tumbler is provided with a curved back portion that fits closely but slidably against the inside curved surface of the curve
In order that the edges
I preferably bend this spring tongue of the tumbler so that it stands slightly normally depressed inwardly at its free end from the outside surface of the tumbler. I preferably provide or knurl the opposite sides of this finger grasping head with a narrow recess or with cross checks, as desired, in order to provide it with a frictional surface.
I also provide the finger tip grasping portion of the plate
My invention contemplates the use in the channeled razor blade holding space
The operation of inserting, clamping and releasing the razor blade of my finger tip grasping razor blade holder is as follows:
The holder is turned over from the position shown in
In order to release and remove and release the razor blade, move the head of the spring of the tumbler to turn the tumbler upward, as shown in this
The tumbler is provided with a safety plate portion
This safety razor edge guarding edge flattens and draws and stretches the skin out smoothly between its edge and the cutting edge of the razor, as the razor is moved in shaving contact with and movement over the face, and the guard bends the hairs of the beard down under it as it engages them when moved against them, and then lets the hairs raise up just in front of the cutting edge of the razor which lies down flat and evenly on the stretched-out skin of the face.
My invention provides a simple, easily and firmly handled interchangeable razor blade holder that positively locks the razor blade to it against accidental displacement and that guards the user against cutting himself, and it permits a user to shave himself in less time than with razors In general use. While I have illustrated and described the preferred construction and arrangement of my invention, I do not wish to be limited to it, as changes may be made in it without departing from the spirit of my invention.
Having described my invention, what I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent is:
1. A finger tip grasping safety razor, comprising a reversely curved finger tip grasping plate arranged to be held by the tips of the fingers in shaving position, said plate being provided with a support for interchangeable razor blades, provided with an aperture, means for releasably securing said razor blade in said support, and a movable safety guard for said razor blade, including a housing, for securing the razor blade against displacement therefrom; said support having a wall member, and means for releasably but positively clamping said razor blades against said wall member; said support consisting of a channeled member provided with a flat bottom member arranged to receive said razor blades against the inside portion wall of its outer side, and a tilting and turning member secured in said channeled member, provided with free ends, one of which is arranged to clamp said razor blades against said channeled members outer side wall and the other is arranged to form a safety guard for the cutting edge of said razor blades.
2. The combination of a finger tip grasping safety razor, comprising a single finger grasping plate arranged to be held by the fingers in shaving position, said plate being provided with a channeled form of support for interchangeable razor blades, with razor blades provided with one or more apertures, means including a lug or lug members for releasably securing said razor blade in said support and a movable safety guard for said razor blade; said support having a wall member, and means, including said lug or lugs, for clamping said razor blades against said wall member; said clamping means comprising a partially turning tumbler having a curved base portion, a curved bearing in said plate in which the curved base of said tumbler is journaled; said tumbler having a resilient yielding tongue member and means for turning said tumbler to cause its resiliently yielding side member to clamp a razor blade against the said wall of its supporting member; said tumbler being provided with a straight, smooth edge portion, arranged to form a safety guard to the cutting edge of a razor blade clamped in its supporting member.
3. In a finger tip grasping safety razor, the combination of the finger tip grasping plate and its razor blade support, provided with a slot; the razor blade clamping and safety guard tumbler; and means, including a spring tongue formed in the tumbler, and extending through said slot, and having a head member arranged to secure said tumbler in said plate and to turn it to clamp a razor blade in its support or to release a razor blade from it; stops arranged to define the razor blade releasing movement of said tumbler.
4. In a finger tip grasping safety razor, the combination of the finger tip grasping plate and its razor blade support, provided with a slot: and with recesses in the opposite ends of the support to enable the razor blade to be grasped at either end of it by the user; the razor blade clamping and safety tumbler; and means, including the spring tongue formed in said tumbler and extending through said slot, and provided with a head arranged to bear on the outside of said plate, for securing said tumbler and turning it in said razor blade support, a channeled form of recess formed in the outer end of said finger tip grasping plate, a curved journal bearing in said plate: a curved journal bearing surface fitting rotatively in the journal bearing of said plate; said headed tongue being arranged to turn said tumbler in its supporting channel to clamp a razor blade in its support or to release a razor blade from it; a
5. The combination of a finger tip grasping safety razor, and a razor blade provided with a hole through it; of a finger tip grasping plate provided with the finger fitting curves, and its razor blade receiving channeled portion provided with a
6. In a razor blade holder, a metal plate bent to form a vertical abutment wall and a horizontal wall, the latter wall terminating in a curved wall which faces the vertical wall, and forms with the vertical and horizontal wall, a three-sided body; the remainder of the plate being in the form of a compound curve having a generally downward direction; a divided barrel-like member connected to the curved side of the body to have a partial rotation thereon, one free edge of said barrel-like member forming a resilient clamp, and a razor blade which is held against said abutment wall by said resilient clamp in one position of the barrel and released when the barrel is given a partial rotation.
7. In a razor blade holder, a metal plate bent to form a vertical abutment wall and a horizontal wall, the latter wall terminating in a curved wall which faces the vertical wall and forms with the vertical and horizontal wall a three-sided body, the remainder of the plate being in the form of a compound curve, having a generally downward direction; a divided barrel member fitting in the curved side of the body to have a partial rotation therein, a slot in said curved wall and a shouldered thumb piece on said barrel which extends through said slot and overlaps the marginal edges of the same, whereby the barrel is held in the curved wall, and may be given a partial rotation therein, one edge portion of said barrel forming a resilient clamp; a razor blade which is held between said abutment wall and said resilient clamp in one position of the barrel, the other edge portion of the barrel lying adjacent the edge of the razor blade to form a guard, said blade being released upon a reverse rotation of the barrel.
8. In a razor blade holder, a metal strip bent to form a body having an abutment wall and a wall at right angles thereto, the latter wall terminating in a curved wall facing the abutment wall, the remainder of the plate being given a compound curve of a generally downward direction to form a grasping member; a razor blade adapted to lie against said abutment wall, and a member having a partial rotation in said body and secured to the curved wall thereof; said member having a resilient portion adapted to clamp said razor blade to the abutment wall, in one position of the member, and a portion acting as a guard in conjunction with the razor edge.
In testimony whereof I affix my signature in presence of two witnesses.
John. A. Williamson.
G. Sargent Elliott,